Ruby Nation

Ruby Nation
Ruby Nation: The Webcomic

Thursday, February 20, 2014

My Response To The Michael B. Jordan Fantastic Four Casting




In response to the news HERE, though the Michael B. Jordan casting was known well before it was finalized today.

I do have misgivings with the castings (namely that Sue Storm was cast as Kate Mara, a white woman, when there are plenty of talented black actresses that have a harder time getting work and would've looked more like Jordan's sister), but the inevitable, often-racist shitstorm that comes with changing the race of 1960's characters for film is usually entertaining (if depressing) to watch. Especially when it's related to the Fantastic Four, a book that has struggled to be interesting and relevant ever since Jack Kirby left the book, barring a few standout periods (such as Byrne's run and the Waid/Weiringo stuff). 

4 comments:

  1. Their tears must taste so sweet! (Cartman reference)

    Was never an FF fan per se, but I think that much of the strength of the team comes from their interpersonal relations (i.e. they're more a family than a squad of heroes). And that could be maintained just fine, regardless of their appearances being reimagined. That goes for Torch, Thing, everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First they came for the Kingpin and I said nothing because he's just a super-villain.

    Then they came for Heimdall and I said nothing because he's just a supporting character.

    Then they came for Ripcord and I said... seriously? Ripcord!? I mean... why is this character in the film?

    Then they came for the Human Torch and I said... eh, so long as it doesn't suck as hard as the last two films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Copied from Facebook:

    I have a lot of problems with the casting and with the premise for this movie in general, but Michael B. Jordan's race isn't one of them. I agree that it's a bit awkward for the Storm siblings to be different races, but it shouldn't be too hard to explain it. Maybe they're both mixed race (even though neither of them looks it), or maybe one of them is adopted.

    However, I do object to labeling people "racists" because they're upset over Johnny Storm's adaptational race change. There is nothing inherently racist about believing that Johnny Storm's race in the comics should be reflected in other media: It's not rooted in any belief about the superiority or inferiority of the races involved, it's rooted in a belief that comic book adaptations should be as true to the source material as possible. I don't agree with that belief, but it's hardly racist. For God's sake, there were comic fans who complained about the movie version of John Constantine being dark-haired instead of blonde.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, and I made a point of saying "often-racist", because I know that some of it is just nitpicking without grounding in any actual disdain for black people.

    ReplyDelete